Posts for tag: Plantar Fasciitis
How your podiatrists in Royal Oak, MI, can help with foot pain
Plantar fasciitis is a common foot problem and you don’t have to be a runner to suffer from it. It’s true that people who participate in high foot stress activities like running or jogging are more likely to suffer from it, but there are other issues that can cause the condition. Your podiatrists at Nationwide Foot & Ankle Care can help with foot pain—we have several convenient office locations in Royal Oak, Livonia, Saginaw, and Commerce Township, MI, to help you and your feet!
More about Plantar Fasciitis
In addition to high impact activities, other issues that increase your risk for plantar fasciitis include:
- Carrying excess weight
- Being 40 to 60 years old
- Being flat-footed
- Wearing shoes without enough support
- Walking or standing on hard surfaces for long periods of time
- Overpronating or rolling your feet when you walk
So, how do you know if you may have plantar fasciitis? There are several easily identifiable signs and symptoms, such as:
- Experiencing a stabbing pain in and around your heel
- Experiencing increasing foot pain after waking up
- Experiencing increasing pain after getting up and putting weight on your feet
- Experiencing increasing pain after exercising or being active
If you think you may have plantar fasciitis, you can try a few simple tips to get relief from pain. Try:
- Placing ice packs on your foot several times during the day
- Doing arch stretches several times each day
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medication
- Wearing more supportive shoes and avoiding going barefoot
For moderate to severe plantar fasciitis symptoms, your podiatrist can help. At Nationwide Foot & Ankle Care, we offer several effective treatments to get rid of plantar fasciitis pain. We may recommend:
- Stretching and physical therapy
- Custom orthotics and footwear
- Night splints
- Prescription strength anti-inflammatory medications
Need Care? Call Today!
You don’t have to let plantar fasciitis symptoms keep you down. Get relief fast by calling the podiatrists at Nationwide Foot & Ankle Care, with offices in Royal Oak, Livonia, Saginaw, and Commerce Township, Michigan. Call now and get back on your feet!
Plantar fasciitis is a very common foot problem. Although it tends to be more common among people who engage in certain types of physical activity like running, spend a lot of time on their feet, or have low arches (flat feet), anyone can develop plantar fasciitis. The podiatrists at Nationwide Foot & Ankle Care, Dr. Randy Semma and Dr. Michelle Bartelle-Semma offer a number of treatment options for plantar fasciitis and other foot and ankle injuries in Livonia, MI.
Plantar Fasciitis Prevention and Treatment in Livonia, MI
Heel pain is one of the most common symptoms of plantar fasciitis, which is caused by inflammation or strain/tears to the plantar fascia ligament. Most people experience a sharp stabbing pain in the heel first thing in the morning, after exercise, or from spending an extended amount of time on their feet.
In addition to physical strain and foot design, other factors that may increase the risk of developing plantar fasciitis include:
- Age (more common in people over the age of 40)
- Being overweight, which can add additional strain on the foot
- Spending long amounts of time on your feet
How is Plantar Fasciitis Treated?
Some cases of plantar fasciitis can be treated conservatively. Your podiatrist may recommend a course of physical therapy, orthotics or splints to provide greater arch support, and lifestyle modifications to reach and maintain a healthy weight. If conservative treatments are ineffective or you suffer from chronic heel pain due to plantar fasciitis, your podiatrist may also recommend steroid injections or Extracorporeal Shock Wave Treatment (ESWT), which uses sound waves to target inflamed tissue.
Find a Podiatrist in Livonia, MI
For more information about prevention and treatment for plantar fasciitis and other foot and ankle problems, contact Nationwide Foot & Ankle Care by calling (734) 261-3400 to schedule an appointment in Livonia, (248) 549-3338 in Royal Oak, or (248) 956-0177 in Township, MI.