Posts for: August, 2018
Athlete's foot is mostly associated with athletes, but this fungal can infect anyone. There are several precautions to take, according to your Commerce Township, Livonia, and Royal Oak, MI, foot doctors, that will help prevent or manage this foot condition.
More About Athlete's Foot:
Athlete's foot can infect anyone, especially individuals who expose their feet to moist surfaces.
Here are some symptoms to keep an eye out for:
- Scaly rash
- Stinging and burning sensation
- Raw, moist skin between toes
Foot Care Advice in Commerce Township, Livonia, and Royal Oak:
There are several preventative measures to take:
- You should wear shower shoes, flip-flops, or sandals when near pools, in gyms, or public showers and locker room areas.
- Keep your feet clean and dry. The fungus thrives when your feet are wet and when you're wearing tight-fitted shoes. This is especially a problem when it's hot outside and your feet sweat profusely.
- Make sure you wash your feet every day with soap and water, then completely dry them.
- Don't wear the same shoes every day. Give your shoes a chance to air out and dry before wearing them again.
- Don't share towels, linens, or shoes with someone who has athlete's foot. It usually spreads through skin-to-skin contact and touching a contaminated surface like a blanket or doorknob.
- Avoid synthetic socks. Wearing socks made from natural fabrics, or fabrics that quickly dry and/or wick moisture to help keep your feet dry.
- Don't walk around barefoot in hotel rooms since foot fungus may be on the floor.
- Change your socks when they get wet, instead of waiting for them to dry while on your feet.
Athlete's foot shouldn't be a serious problem, but if it takes too long to heal, you need to speak to your foot doctor. If you have any questions or concerns about athlete's foot, call your Commerce Township, Livonia, and Royal Oak, MI, foot doctor today!