How your podiatrist in Livonia, Michigan can help you get relief from plantar fasciitis pain
Have you been struggling with plantar fasciitis lately? We're here to help. At Nationwide Foot & Ankle Care in Livonia, MI, your podiatrists offer a wide range of footcare services, including treatment for this painful condition.
More about plantar fasciitis and how we can help
Plantar fasciitis is the result of inflammation of the plantar fascia, the thick band of tissue running across your heel.
People often develop this condition from excessive foot stress caused by sports or from overpronation (rolling your feet when you walk). Other factors that can contribute to plantar fasciitis include:
- Carrying excess weight
- Having flat feet
- Being older
- Walking or standing on hard surfaces for long periods of time
So, how do you know if you have plantar fasciitis? Mild to severe heel pain and pain along the side of your foot are the most common symptoms. You may notice the pain increases when you get up in the morning and try to take your first steps.
For mild to moderate plantar fasciitis pain, you can try some simple home remedies like these:
- Placing an ice pack on your heel for 15 minutes several times each day
- Gently stretching your arches several times each day
- Taking over-the-counter pain and anti-inflammatory medications
- Switching to low impact activities like swimming
- Wearing more comfortable, supportive shoes
For severe plantar fasciitis pain, it’s best to visit your podiatrist. Here at Nationwide Foot & Ankle, we may recommend:
- Custom orthotics or night splints
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical therapy and stretching
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy or ESWT
Plantar fasciitis pain doesn’t have to keep you on the couch! Find relief and get back to enjoying your life. Call the podiatrists of Nationwide Foot & Ankle Care in Livonia, MI, by calling (734) 261-3400. Other office locations include Sore Feet Podiatry in Royal Oak, MI, at (248) 549-3338 and Saginaw Bay Podiatry in Saginaw Bay, MI, at (989) 475-5234.